Overlord Challenge

Notices and stories concerning events in the legendary basement of the Duel of Swords.

Moderator: Staff

Max Blue
Adventurer
Adventurer

Overlord Challenge

Post by Max Blue »

To All,

I have issued challenge to Cory Havoick for the title of Overlord

Max Quinlan Blue
Cory
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The IronMan

Post by Cory »

To the entire Community,

As you may know Baron Max Blue has challenged me or the mantle; but for what? Nothing but his own selfishness. He gave no reason, this is neither a friendly challenge nor a begrudging one. This is all about him and what he wants.
       Take a moment to review the Barons' track record. As holder of the Fifth he hastily pressed his challengers into a match that, perhaps they were not yet ready for to increase his chances of victory. Then, at first possible chance he was willing to abandon his seat on the Fifth in order to challenge Shakira. When defeated he retired the ring. Why? No reason was given other than "He wanted to."
       Now we are seeing history repeat itself. This time with a different Barony. He pressed his challenge to Sartan and within days of that challenge the match was fought. Again, at first possible chance he pressed challenge to the mantle; and again he is willing to abandon the Barony just to be called Overlord once again. Is it not obvious he has no respect for these titles or sports? He sees them as just another notch on his belt.

So now I turn to you, every soul in the dueling community. From the Barons all the way to the last Commoner. Is this a person you'd want to see become Overlord again? With such blatant disregard for the prestigious titles of this sport. I come to you, seeking your opinion. What should be done about this Renegade Baron? Every voice shall be heard, you have one week to express your opinion before I must answer this disrespectful challenge.

Overlord Havoick
The Amazing Nova
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by The Amazing Nova »

Kill him and set his head on a pike as a warning to all the other duelists that just want to collect titles!

Oh, and if we can choose who we want for Overlord ...

MACKENZIE FOR OVERLORD

The fun kind of evil. Vote today.
Chris Graziano
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Chris Graziano »

Let the entire Crew beat him with sack of bees!

cg
Karen Wilder
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Knight Templar

Post by Karen Wilder »

Like I said when 'e challenged ol' Salty fer th' Ring in th' first place... He were only doin' it as a steppin' stone tae th' Mantle.

I said it again when 'e complained 'bout Marzan challengin' 'im... th' only reason Max wanted tae hold a Ring was so he could challenge fer th' Mantle every month until 'e got it.

Test 'im. Use th' Barkeep, or m'self, or jest 'bout anyone. Use thet Chase lass thet won th' Talon. If th' Tester wins, they kin challenge 'im.

Lady Karen Wilder
Knight-Commander
Templar Knights of Rhy-Din
Max Blue
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Max Blue »

I must be seeing things.

I must need my eyes checked. I swear I saw Cory referring to a sport, while treating the top title in it like a government position.

I must need my hearing checked. When I heard a three-time Overlord say that there was only one title that mattered.

I remember many times people standing in opposition of a test because they believed that a former Overlord or even Baron does not deserve to be subject to it.

I must have been mistaken. I didn't realize there was fault in seeing a title as desireable.

I must be guilty of all accused. I'm ambitious.

But Cory's still attempting to slander me on a public board and in person. That could only mean one thing...

I must still be challenging.

Max Quinlan Blue

Warlord as of July 17, 2003
Former Keeper of Earth
Holder of ShadoWeaver
Third Quarter, '03 Warlord Tournament Champion
Twice Baron
Soon Twice Overlord
Karen Wilder
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Knight Templar

Post by Karen Wilder »

Max Blue wrote:I must need my eyes checked. I swear I saw Cory referring to a sport, while treating the top title in it like a government position.

I must need my hearing checked. When I heard a three-time Overlord say that there was only one title that mattered.

I remember many times people standing in opposition of a test because they believed that a former Overlord or even Baron does not deserve to be subject to it.

I must have been mistaken. I didn't realize there was fault in seeing a title as desireable.

I must be guilty of all accused. I'm ambitious.

But Cory's still attempting to slander me on a public board and in person. That could only mean one thing...

I must still be challenging.

Max Quinlan Blue
First, Cory wouldnae be th' first person tae treat th' Mantle like it were something involvin' politics. I seem tae recall there were quite a bit o' politics back in th' old days... what wit all th' Houses an' such.

Second, I dinnae care if some three-time Overlord said there's only one title thet matters. There's been many a time when who were Barons was a lot more important than who was th' Overlord. There's been plenty o' Barons who had quite a bit o' influence on who was or was nae th' Overlord. Besides, if th' Mantle was th' only thing thet mattered tae ye, then ye ne'er shouldae challenged fer a Ring.

Third, I ne'er opposed th' Test on th' grounds o' someone's title or former title. I cain't really recall opposin' th' Test at all, really. It be th' right o' th' Overlord tae decide, jest like it's th' right o' a Renegade tae have a Champion or tae interceed fer a challenger... e'en if thet challenger did nae want some Renegade steppin' in fer 'em.

Fourth, there ain't a problem wit wantin' tae wear th' Mantle an' be th' Overlord... but if thet were yer goal, ye shouldae jest went fer it straight away. Grabbin' a Ring so ye kin have a new shot e'ery month is a cheap way tae do it. Th' Rings shouldnae jest be steppin' stones on th' road tae th' Mantle.

Fifth, ye've yet tae prove yer less a fool then th' last time ye held th' Mantle... so I still don' think ye deserve it.

Lady Karen Wilder
Rix Favre
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Rix Favre »

Oh, I'm just here to show my support for one of the Overlord candidates.

MACKENZIE FOR OVERLORD

G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

Max isn't someone who deserves to be Overlord, never was, never will be.

That's why he should be tested. It all comes down to "I want the Overlord title just because." Which isn't a good enough reason to test.

Being a duelist should be enough for anyone who loves the sport.

Cory, whatever you do, beat him down each and every month he tries to be Overlord.

Max is a shallow duelist, and certainly doesn't deserve having his name up with the most of the other ones who were OL. Speaking of which, I'd not mind having a few names stricken from the record, too. But oh well, you only get the name up there cause you're lucky enough to win a duel.
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
Duel of Swords Legend. Best In The World™.
First All Time DoS Title Holder.
Listed as "Daddy" in your daughters contacts list.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

Oh yeah, and please, please, please let there be someone out there to challenge Max and take his title from him. At the rate it takes me to get my duels in, it'll be a while before I can challenge him. The sooner he's a Warlord the better.

And for the record...

MACKENZIE FOR OVERLORD
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
Xenograg
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Bey

Post by Xenograg »

My opinion that there is but one title that matters is just that -- an opinion.

Max overheard me say it most recently to Kaja. I was encouraging her challenge after she won the Warlord Tournament. Max will remember that I encouraged his challenge last year. I encourage all those for whom it is a first time.

I have several unusual opinions concerning the Sport. All you have to do is ask.

Xenograg kathu-Darelir
Fourth Overlord of the Duel of Swords
"The stupidest creative act is still a creative act, and that the real gap isn't between the mediocre and great work. The real gap is between getting started and doing nothing. If you've created something, even if it's stupid, you've put yourself in a position to do more." - Clay Shirky
Ticallion Carter
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: An upscale bachelor's loft in New Haven is his primary residence.

Post by Ticallion Carter »

Wow. This is a really funny discussion. Why is it funny? Because, I think it boils down to a simple matter of dislike for Max by a few people who want to mask it behind tradition and honor and all that other stuff.

Let's think about this for a second, what did Max do wrong? He wants to be Overlord, is that a crime? I bet the vast majority of people who duel here regularly want to be Overlord one day. There's very few people in the world who want to be known as 2nd place, a silver medal or a runner-up. Not that there's anything wrong with that either. But no, Max got a Baron's ring and is using that as a stepping stone to become Overlord. That's the problem. He's disrespecting the tradition of the sport. So what? Why cry about it? What does that accomplish? If you don't like it, you have a few simple options. The most fruitful of those being that you can challenge him when he wins or when he loses. Besides, let's be real here if we can for a second. I've read the history. He's not the first person to do this, and he won't be the last. I'm willing to bet some of the most respected people in this sport have done that (they just might not have publically come out and said it). And I'm sure none of the Overlords who got challenged rapidly by a newly minted Baron complained publically about it and tried to put a political spin on the situation. Overlords are supposed to be challenged, so are Barons. If someone does it in a way you don't think is kosher..again, you can always challenge them.

Bottom line, this is sport and it ain't politics. I don't pay taxes to Cory or any of the Barons and I never did. I don't vote for the Overlord or the Barons and if I did...well, we've already had a few examples about that. You don't like someone? Beat the crap out of them and move on.

But that's just my opinion, I'm sure I'm about to get laid into for it. But that's fine. Hopefully if you do have a bone to pick with me though, you'd do it in a ring..that way it might actually mean something for both of us. Plus it makes for a more spirited discussion.

Tical M. Carter
Maria Graziano
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Maria Graziano »

Someone please tell me exactly what Cory's done to be such a damn fine Overlord. Has he sponsored any tournaments or opened a school for young duelers? Nope. Has he been particularly exciting or brought anything new to the sport? Nope. Is he a great "King of the Hill" Overlord and an amazing duelist? Nope.

His entire reign so far has been boring mediocrity. Now he has a chance to prove if he's really the top of the heap and what does he do? He waits until the last possible moment to accept Max's challenge and then he schedules the match for the last possible day that the match can be fought according to the rules and then says that a former Overlord and Baron isn't worthy of stepping into a ring against him. If that doesn't scream "I'm a challenge-ducking panzy" then I don't know what does.

It's almost as bad as Xerzes' pathetic tail simply not accepting Gork's challenge over there in the Outback. You people make fun of these kids and say that they're not worthy of licking your boots but when they challenge you, you run and hide like twelve year old girls. Be men. Grow some balls.

All hail the Panzy Overlord!

- MGB
Karen Wilder
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Knight Templar

Post by Karen Wilder »

Maybe once Cory's had th' Mantle fer more'n a few weeks, eh?

O'course, I think 'e's still a better Overlord than Max'd be.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

It doesn't scream that he's a challenge ducking pansy. You fail to realize the amount of an ass that Max is. Taking that into consideration, I'd be pleased to see him forced to wait until the last moment possible to have the challenge take place, if only to frustrate him.

As Karen said, Cory's only been Overlord a couple weeks, how can he organize anything in that short amount of time. I doubt anyone could properly organize anything in that amount of time and have it show real promise.

Below Warlord Tourneys, Warlord Tourneys, Baron Tourneys, events, etc, have always seemed to take about a month minimum to plan around here. If anyone has done something in less time than that, I haven't seen it.

Cory's not ducking the challenge. He's giving Max a hard time for the hassle Maxie has been giving him.
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador

Return to “The Arena”